Sensible Alterations to Hiding/Rogues and Logout

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Lans
Character: Koss Brynd, Lugh Arawn, Lans Tan'tare (dead)

Re: Sensible Alterations to Hiding/Rogues and Logout

Post by Lans » May 15th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Okay okay rogue folks, lets not lie to the staff and playerbase and say...

"I had to buy some HIDING clothes and spam a treasure hunting skill in my house to be able to..."

- Rampantly steal.

- Avoid people entirely, RP and all. One thief once left a smarmy note but of course it didn't even require signing.

- Repeatedly loot houses as if it was the newbie crypt dungeon [Its not, at what point is that character visiting a person over 4x in a week and they were even pretending that was 'hard' nevermind if it was reasonable a rate?]

- Many thieves exploit "APPROACHING NAMES" and CNTRL SHIFT to ensure no one is present or inside. [Also, not hard very meta oriented and removes most of the threat of just camping your house in a corner until they come inside to gank them.]

- Objects should not be able to be manipulated 'while hidden' beyond potentially picking doors and even then it begs the question if one is hidden at all slumped in front of a door trying to jimmy the lock.

- There isn't exactly a Town Crier that spreads [generated rumors] based on break ins or crimes, so the majority of people besides the victim isn't even aware, and that assumes the thief 'made mistakes' and left some manner of evidence they were there. There isn't even a forensics skill, and even if the prior mentioned things were in place [A Concealed Figure] could be anybody.

As it stands players can't even get guards in private houses as I have yet seen, and even IF I covered every and I do mean EVERY floor tile with a lantern; if the player is logged out or gone?
That does nothing, because then thief could pick the door in broad day light, leave it open, walk in, loot in and leave, and there was 0 risk or reprecussion.
Lets not paint this as the same difficulty as a solo-venture to fight Anslem -- It is not, and our player-base isn't so enormous 'far off locations' have people milling in and out of them, I could go to most bases and have hours pass before seeing anyone.

Note: I would like Staff clarification if these house traps can be made instead to be reactionary to Magic Unlock 'and' Lockpicking versus someone 'using the door' -- The reason most people don't "Use house traps" is as players understand on a common-player level is that opening the door even will set it off.
I'd love to use these 100 odd trap recipes I have found over all my hunting, if it doesn't blow up myself and house guests just because its there and 'requires a engineer' to safely enter my house.

AConcealedFigure
Character: A concealed figure

Post by AConcealedFigure » May 15th, 2021, 3:25 pm

So... What have you done so far as a preventative measure? Especially after finding out the first time, "I think someone has been in my house!" Anything? Anything at all? It's 15s for a lock. Try to do something.

B/c when I found out I got robbed, I burned my house down, moved far away, and had an eng to install a lock.

Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Post by Meowakin » May 15th, 2021, 3:32 pm

I still like the idea of traps that are more than just 'immediate harm'. I believe I've said elsewhere, but a skin dye trap seems like an amazing idea. Pending answers about whether owners can bypass traps, it could still be setup on dummy containers. Lasting several hours, means thieves won't be willing to be seen in public.

More specifically, allow custom hues on the traps so you can identify the thief (and so they can't just say they accidentally blue themselves)

AConcealedFigure
Character: A concealed figure

Post by AConcealedFigure » May 15th, 2021, 3:36 pm

I am personally all for any type of new traps and buffs to existing traps. I honestly think a high enough level traps should lead to a guranteed mort point, injury, and 60+ second KO timer. If that's not disincentive enough, then idk what is. But literally almost NO ONE has door or container traps. Which if it's a "I don't want my guests to trigger" thing, then install one and debug the existing protection mechanics. I just think this post is a bit ridiculous when people are complaining about thieves but also doing nothing to deter thieves. If you want guranteed protection, they have it in the fort. Otherwise, a little effort is required. Not all of us just macro-ed through getting the skill up. There's plenty of real risk and effort involved.

Furio
Character: Furio

Post by Furio » May 19th, 2021, 2:51 pm

I'm sorry, guaranteed protection? how does it work? Because I have a house in Fort Prae and someone picked its lock and got into, even though there's a guard at all times like 5 steps away from it.

Meowakin
Character: Elsea Hunter

Post by Meowakin » May 19th, 2021, 3:43 pm

The guaranteed protection they were referencing was the Bulk Storage Rentals. Which is small comfort for many.

In regards to the guard, I'm not certain the system that allows them to detect lockpicking is enabled. Even if it were, however, the Silent Lockpicking perk allows for as low as three tiles detection range by NPCs, so technically if they have that perk they could still break in without alerting a guard five tiles away.