Engineering Auras!

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
AConcealedFigure
Character: A concealed figure

Engineering Auras!

Post by AConcealedFigure » June 9th, 2021, 2:14 pm

There has been a lot of discussion in the discord about balancing magical abilities to high end technological ones. One idea could be to have an off hand item, engineering made, that when burning infused particulate, will generate an aura like a mage's. This item is a permanent one and it's function can be used in hand or left on the ground with a similar perimeter as a lantern. It will burn Particulate slowly when not doing damage and very quickly when it is.

Flame Thrower
Cryo Radiator
Tesla Coil

Could add some spice to the engineering class and the ability to even the playing field a bit between science and magic.

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Re: Engineering Auras!

Post by Kent » June 9th, 2021, 5:48 pm

I really strongly dislike auras as a concept. They are a switch you flick to passively do damage. They're not interactive, they dont engage the player on either end. I'd rather see all auras removed and replaced with things that are interactive, myself. I do not think we should be adding more aura-type mechanics to the game.

Mektor
Character: Mektor

Post by Mektor » June 9th, 2021, 6:49 pm

I like the idea. Main downside is how much work is involved for the devs :P

Only concern would be an aura that lasts too long. Any mage will tell you mana is a huge issue when using auras. Maybe particles (or something else, coal, etc. -- we're not short on items with little/no use :P) could feed the device with a CD to be refilled, or some kind of overheating system (i.e. use for too long and it overheats and turns off) so it can't be in use (not on, but actively dealing damage or its effect) forever?

AConcealedFigure
Character: A concealed figure

Post by AConcealedFigure » June 9th, 2021, 7:49 pm

Yeah I think it's got potential and the upside (beyond the additional works) would be adding more variety to the game as opposed to nerfing and removing aspects of the game. It being kind of like like an AOE trap, which idk if traps like that are already craftable. Maybe pulses of like 1s, 5s, 10s, with it using IP for the burst. Carrying it, the gate would be that you can only carry so much particulate. The weight would then subtract while you hunted, allowing you the space to still loot and what not. I was hoping the idea was similar enough to existing systems where the work would be minimal. Concepts are easy though, the devil's in the details.