Attacking someone while they are AFK

Got a good idea you’re itching to share? Think something should be changed? Stop by the Suggestion Box and share your opinions with the community.
Furio
Character: Furio

Attacking someone while they are AFK

Post by Furio » July 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am

Hello there

Following the instructions of a staff member I'm bringing this situation up to the forums to be more easily covered, mentioned, discussed and decided upon.

Today's topic is attacking someone while they are AFK.

Unrelated to any recent or not so recent events, taking action against someone that is not able to react is uncourteous in the very least. Your character may have roleplay reasons to take actions against said character, but how do you roleplay with someone that's not there? There's no interaction, there is no roleplay. Its just a player taking adavantage of another that is unable to do anything whichever is the reason why the person is AFK, be it a pee break, their child crying or a medical emergency. That is simply lacking respect to the fellow player that may be dealing with whatever situation, and in the end, even though the setting of this world is harsh, we don't have to be.

One also has to consider the metagame nature of it, would the character actually attack someone as openly as that if his target weren't afk? I dont think so, else he'd done it before. Then why do it then? Because he's using out of game information to gain levarage, knowing he can take advantage of it. Again, there is no roleplay in this.

It was said that its part of the server to have a opressing feeling of horror, terror which makes for an awesome setting, but there are clearly better ways of achieving it than being afraid of taking a pee break. In the end, we might not all be friends here, but we are all here to enjoy the game together and respecting players a huge part in it.

To try and make it shorter so I wont take much of your time, my suggestion is to add into the rules of the server that attacking someone who is obviously afk is not something that we want here and won't be tolerated. It's obvious if someone is AFK when you attack them, anyone who is present would respond. Attacking someone and continuing to attack them is in poor taste and poor role play.

Just dropping here a last few lines straight from the rules which sort of leans into it:

2.1 Player Respect

Other players, like yourself, are here to create stories, role-play and have fun. However, it is to be reminded that it is a privilege to play here, not a right. We don’t expect you to like or get along with every single player within the community, but we do expect and require you to show respect towards them. If you have a disagreement with another player, please see to it that it is settled quietly and privately between you and them. If you feel this is not an option, seek Staff intervention via the forums. If you prove that you cannot fit in to our community due to repeated clashes with fellow players or staff, you will be removed from the game and the community.

12. Respect and Tolerance

Respect for both fellow players and the staff is essential in order for this community to thrive.

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Re: Attacking someone while they are AFK

Post by Kent » July 3rd, 2021, 2:49 am

Furio wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am

be it a pee break, their child crying or a medical emergency.

BOY HOWDY I wish this was the case. If this was the case, i'd agree. However, I do not believe the people at the bank or tavern in fort prae 24 hours a day are "having a pee break". These people are (in my opinion) exploiting and powergaming the system for reasons that are self-evident. I would agree with the body of your point and thesis....if there was a rule against this sort of weird, immersion breaking exploitation.

Talking to someone who isnt there and doesn't respond is immersion breaking and, i'd counter-argue, conferrs a lack of respect towards other places who are invested in the roleplay. It breaks the fuck out of my immersion when i see 6000 people afk at the bank at all hours of the day who never respond to speech. Until staff make a rule against this sort of exploitative AFKing, it should be allowed -- nay, encouraged for these people to be viciously attacked and their possessions taken from them.

Lucien
Character: Lucien

Post by Lucien » July 3rd, 2021, 2:58 am

Attacking afk people is a dick move, borderline griefing. +1

People afk bank sitting is a separate issue, maybe you should make a post about that.

Kent
Character: Requiescat In Pace

Post by Kent » July 3rd, 2021, 3:11 am

Lucien wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:58 am Attacking afk people is a dick move, borderline griefing. +1

People afk bank sitting is a separate issue, maybe you should make a post about that.
Whenever i've brought up this afk bank sitting issue, the contra argument is that their characters are in the game world and are subject to consequences etc as any other character in the game world is, regardless of them being AFK.

They are not seperate issues.

Kachina
Character: Lyanora Voss

Post by Kachina » July 3rd, 2021, 3:20 am

*watches players now pretending to be AFK when approached*

VeraShelby
Character: Vera Shelby

Post by VeraShelby » July 3rd, 2021, 3:40 am

This is a valid point, if you have a legitimate rp reason to attack someone it's poor sport to go after them when they're AFK for any reason. The point of this game is to have an interactive experience, attacking someone who is AFK regardless of your rp reasoning isn't interactive. It also takes away the element of rp. In no circumstance would a person stand there and let someone attack them to the point of being knocked out in reality. Things happen, we all walk away from our characters from time to time. I'd hope that someone who had developed enough of an rp background to warrant the attacking and possible death of my character would have the common curtesy to wait until I could be involved in a story opposed to just koing me and taking my stuff.

fester
Character: Min Sun Mi'zun

Post by fester » July 3rd, 2021, 3:44 am

There is no red face angry smiley to express my rage at random terrorists afk killing me. I will get my stuff back and pay my neighbour to kill a chicken and put a curse on them.
A no animus curse, not irl curse.

fester

Post by fester » July 3rd, 2021, 4:03 am

Kent wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:49 am
Furio wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:14 am

be it a pee break, their child crying or a medical emergency.

BOY HOWDY I wish this was the case. If this was the case, i'd agree. However, I do not believe the people at the bank or tavern in fort prae 24 hours a day are "having a pee break". These people are (in my opinion) exploiting and powergaming the system for reasons that are self-evident. I would agree with the body of your point and thesis....if there was a rule against this sort of weird, immersion breaking exploitation.

Talking to someone who isnt there and doesn't respond is immersion breaking and, i'd counter-argue, conferrs a lack of respect towards other places who are invested in the roleplay. It breaks the fuck out of my immersion when i see 6000 people afk at the bank at all hours of the day who never respond to speech. Until staff make a rule against this sort of exploitative AFKing, it should be allowed -- nay, encouraged for these people to be viciously attacked and their possessions taken from them.
I'll make sure to camp you to go afk and kill you like you suggested, now stop sliding the thread

fester

Post by fester » July 3rd, 2021, 4:47 am

Also you max out your infusion fatigue in an hour of eyeless grind so these afk-ers are literally irrelevant bug NPC's like the survivors, they will never be able to compete with anyone until they actually start playing in season one or whenever and even then they will need weeks or months to be slightly viable against heavy grinders, this killing afk players notion of yours is stupid because you perceive their afk crutch as some kind of delusional exploit against you, all your points for killing them are stupid and irrelevant. In fact I already suspect anyone advocating for killing them as an afk killer trying to justify their afk killing OOC immersion breaking actions. Have a nice day!

Dead Klaus
Character: Adam de Ravin

Post by Dead Klaus » July 3rd, 2021, 7:58 am

The whole point of an RP shard is for Roleplay interactions, I know that it can break a little the immersion having people afk in public places, but there're a lot of NPCs in the Fort that you already don't interact so it's not really that big of a deal. I think it's quite low to attack somebody AFK and take their stuff, I would hope that we are all here playing to create stories and develop our characters, which the action of attacking somebody AFK doesn't add in any way.