New Character: Ordinand

Forum used for submitting new applications for characters on Requiem.

Moderator: Gatekeeper

Maslore
Fresh Meat
Character: Ordinand

New Character: Ordinand

Post by Maslore » April 16th, 2023, 3:06 pm

Do you have any prior experience with Requiem? If so, please detail when (and what characters, if desired) you previously played:

I have no prior experience with Requiem.

How did you hear about Requiem?

I read about it while exploring possible shards to get into on r/ultimaonline.

CHARACTER QUESTIONS

What will your character’s name be?

Ordinand. I don't have a last name, but I'm happy to adopt one if necessary. Better yet, I'd like to earn one.

Please briefly describe the physical attributes of your character, including age, looks, height, weight and any notable features:

Ordinand is a good looking, tall man. Aged 20, 6'2", blue-eyed with flowing, golden hair. The hardness of his jawline is surpassed only by his unyielding abs. He is clean-shaven, wears typically simple and utilitarian (albeit clean) clothes.

Briefly state your character’s intentions or motivations for entering the First Province:

Ordinand intends to start his own smithy. Easier said than done, considering he is completely unknown, has no letters of reference beyond his visa, and claims not a penny to his name.

Please provide a few short paragraphs with pertinent details or notable qualities of your character’s history. This does not have to be exhaustive nor revealing of any information you wish to keep secret:

Ordinand was born and raised in the City of Redholme. His parents both worked unassuming middle-class jobs at smaller mom-and-pop shops. His mother was an alchemist's assistant, preparing minor healing salves and other medications for patients with the proper coin and prescriptions. His father was a blacksmith. His blades were not of any particular renown, but he did garner a reputation for being a reliable, honest, and fairly priced tradesman--an unfortunate rarity in Redholme these days.

Growing up in the dynamic, industrial environment of Redholme was extremely formative for Ordinand. The towering smokestacks billowing progress into the skies fascinated him, and he loved learning about the man-made achievements around him. Architecture, engineering, electricity, smithing, it all captured his imagination.

At the same time, Ordinand watched the misery imparted upon the lower dregs of Redholme. His young heart broke to see the pollution and filth forced upon the poor. His younger years were spent working at the Sentinel, delivering the papers to anybody with enough coin to buy a copy. It was in the Sentinel that Ordinand learned of the corruption in this modern, urban landscape.

Economics ultimately pushed Ordinand from Redholme. Never one to be a mere cog in a huge factory, he watched each passing year put more and more pressure on his father's smithy. He simply could not compete with the prices of the huge foundries pumping out rivers of steel. His only saving grace was the loyalty of long-established customers. Ordinand would have no such luck. The cost of land and buildings, let alone the permitting and licensing, was beyond prohibitive for new startups. If Ordinand wanted to follow in his father's footsteps, owning a smithy and not answering to some foreman in a factory, he would have to strike out for wider spaces.

Please write a few short paragraphs of an in-character response to the [provided] scenario:

"I seek entry into the First Province for reasons of infrastructure. I am possessed of some skill in smithing and engineering. I cannot put these skills to use in Redholme because the cost of business far outpaces any reasonable profit I may hope to gain.

"Even so, I do not seek my own profit solely. My father raised me to value the Sacred Eight virtues, particularly that of honesty and justice. My business will be conducted ethically and honorably, with always an eye to compassion and fairness to my fellow countrymen. It is my belief that by being a fair and hardworking craftsman, all who purchase my wares will profit, leading ultimately to the retaking and stabilization of the First Province.

"This proud region needs steel--for weapons as much as for tools. Even after the First Province is won, it must still be rebuilt. I seek to join in this holy and worthy effort."

Coty
Aeolian Staff
Character: Swaglord420

Re: New Character: Ordinand

Post by Coty » April 16th, 2023, 3:18 pm

Congratulations, adventurer! Your application is...

Approved!

Please ensure that your character name is spelled correctly upon exiting the Songmaker's chambers. A GM will approve your character at their earliest convenience.

Welcome to Requiem!