The Legacy of Slayton Forsythe

A forum dedicated to single-thread posts of characters within the game world to help document large events, stories and milestones in one consolidated thread.
YeOldenMan
Character: Slayton Forsythe

The Legacy of Slayton Forsythe

Post by YeOldenMan » June 21st, 2023, 3:13 pm

Slayton Forsythe

Ask not what the Republic can do for you, but what you can do for the Republic
- F. Jhon Kennedine

[[ Most spoilers redacted, but minor ones below - read at your own risk. DO NOT METAGAME! ]]

Full Name: Slayton Reginald Forsythe
Birthdate: Greengrass 26, 1285
Birthplace: The Capitol, Tor
Birthsign: The Cog
Appearance
Height: 68 inches
Weight: 145 lbs.
Eyes: Light Brown
Hair: Snow White
Skin: Weathered and Wrinkled
Handedness: Right
Posture: Hunched
Hygiene: Clean
Scent: Elderberries

Physical Description: Slayton is a hunch-backed old man. His snow white hair drapes behind him in a ponytail to his shoulder blades. His beard is kept scraggly with no hints of the light brown it might have once been. His bulbous nose is crooked down the bridge underscored by flat, thin lips. His hands are scarred and one might likely notice some new skint spot upon either one of then at any time.
Personality
General Health: Old and weary.
Profession: Retired Foundry Foreman, Agricultural. Currently Miner and Tooler
Faction Affiliation: None
Languages: Decusian, Nothryian. Small amounts of both Yultish and Collation learned on the job.
Accent: Midlands mostly with hints of Torian
Roleplay Tools: A cane and a cough

Hobbies: Tinkering with new ideas for tools and accessories. Drafting and researching new inventions, seldom.
Habits: He has a habit of overworking himself. And sometimes may speak too often about his late wife, Gloria.

Personality Description:
Slayton is the typical Republic Faithful though not a zealot. He believes that through hard work and aid in society, the Republic itself may strive. So he is helpful to all younger folks in need. Especially one trying to figure out something he feels he may be able to help with. Knowledge need not die with the old and wise after all.

History:
Slayton was born to citizens in Tor. His father worked for the Foundry in Logistics for the Capitol. His mother was a highly respected tailor in the Capitol. Slayton pledged his servitude to the Foundry in 1307 at the age of 22. He was sent to Aetherun to the mines in 1310. There, upon needing medical attention for a minor incident, he met his future wife Gloria, of the Apothecary Corps. The pair were separated for some time when Slayton was sent by the Foundry to Ghaenthgrad in 1318. They wrote several letters to each other during this time apart. Finally, Gloria was granted a transfer within the AC to Ghaenthgrad to be near Slayton, in 1322. The pair were married as soon as she arrived and birthed the first of two children, Samuel. Three years later, their daughter Regina was born. Slayton became a Foreman for the Foundry in the agriculture division in Ghaenthgrad, but the damage had already been done to his lungs. Gloria retired early to care for him and make their home within the Wheat fields. She passed unexpectedly in 1346, and Slayton’s new mission was to spread her ashes among the Black Lilly fields of Aetherun.

Strengths: Wise, Generous, Dedicated, Faithful, Creative
Weaknesses: Naïve, Stubborn, Judgemental

Governing Virtue: Compassion
Governing Throne: Pride

YeOldenMan

Re: The Legacy of Slayton Forsythe

Post by YeOldenMan » June 21st, 2023, 3:25 pm

Screenshot_20230621_133457_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230621_133457_Chrome.jpg (177.66 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

YeOldenMan

Re: The Legacy of Slayton Forsythe

Post by YeOldenMan » July 6th, 2023, 5:10 pm

A series of letters can be found tucked away in a crate above the man's Armoire in his Workshop, should one decide to pry. They are all folded neatly and symmetrically and the script on the envelopes are elegantly quilled. They are currently all addressed simply to Gloria...

Gloria, Flowerbloom 26th, 1346

It's been over a year now. How I miss your buttered beets. I've been getting by alright. I know you worry about me.
I've been eating ham and corn and burnt bread. I'm growing weary of staying here. I know I can live out my days of retirement in the house. But I can't just leave your ashes on the mantle and look at this urn. I know we talked about what I wanted for my ashes. But we never really thought yours would come first. It ain't quite fair that you took care of me, and I couldn't do nothing for you.

All my Love,
Slayton

Gloria, Greengrass 30th, 1346

Hope you're ready for a road trip. I don't know if you can hear me anymore or not. Finally got a replacement foreman out here. I can't keep up with the duties. The dust from the fields mixed with the black dust coating my lungs ain't good for me. This fellow seems to know what he's doing though. So all we built here together should be in good hands. I'm packing a few bags and taking some coin with me. Got a visa to move back towards Tor. I plan on stopping off in Aetherun. You know the place. I think it's my favorite place in the whole Republic. I think scattering your ashes there would make you the happiest.

From my whole heart,
Slayton

Gloria, Warmwind 13th, 1346

The lily patch wasn't in bloom. Oh, how I wish i had been able to see it one last time. Remember how the breeze made it look like an ocean of black waves? But I am happy to know that you will help to push those blooms back out in the spring. Maybe I can visit you again sometime. I can't survive out here for a winter though. I plan to stay in Redholme before moving closer to Tor. I know it ain't much left out there, but rumor has it the old Fort Praesidium is under Foundry control. I am sure there are some apothecaries out that way. Don't worry over me anymore Love.

Slayton

Gloria, Thawmist 2nd, 1347

I know it's been months. Truth is I ain't been well lately. I'm in Redholme now though, rest assured. My bones ache, Love. The cold and all this lying about. I've been in the infirmary almost since I arrived. Redholme lawmen don't mess around with an old man coughing his lungs up. They quarantined me with these Apothecaries and won't let me leave. But they've been taking care of me. You know I didn't want to die in this place no way. Too stubborn for that. When I get better, I'll be headed Northeast. If I can just step foot in those Torian walls, I could die a happy man.

Love, Slayton

Gloria, Highharvest 23rd, 1347

My Love. They are finally letting me on my way. I did a few odd and end jobs to pay for my eats and lodging here in Redholme. But I fear they don't want me back in the infirmary for another winter here. Well, we knew the Republic didn't care much for you when your helpfulness and ability had done run out. That's alright though. I didn't much want to stay anyway. I leave tomorrow on foot headed Northeast toward the Train Depot. They say security is tight in the province and rumor has it: Tor ain't in no shape to enter. I reckon Prae is my best bet to get started on my pilgrimage.

Wish me luck,
Love Slayton

My Love, Chilldawn 12th, 1348

I should write more often, I know. I finally made it to Praesidium about a month and half back. It wasn't a joke about not being able to reach Tor Proper. Rumor around here is that it is still overrun by the afflicted. Guess I won't get back there any time soon.

I know you won't like it but i've gone back into mining. Well, it ain't my fault. Farming just, well, I am tired of it. I pick and forage enough here and there to feed myself well. And there's all sort of folk around here worried over my Coughing. Some of them shy away but most want to help me. So I figure the best way to give back was to fall in and help where I could. Got me a nice rental unit just outside the Fort walls. It's safe enough but I'd prefer to be inside at night. Doctors are not in short supply though. So don't fret over me.

I picked some wild black lillies and potted them in my dormatory. I talked to one lass and she suggested I have a portrait done up of you. I fear even the best artist can't capture your beauty. But I might let them try.

Love,
Slayton

Gloria, Dewfall 27th, 1348

They're opening a post office here in the province. I'm going to try and get letters out to the children soon. Samuel was back in your neck of the woods, last I heard. Maybe he got to meet some of your cousins or something. He was married finally and was supposed to be expecting their first child. Gina's husband was moved, last I had heard. Maybe I can get a letter caught up to her in Kaduras. I worry over them. It ain't safe out there. All I can do is write these letters and hope one day they might find them.

You don't know how much I miss you,
Slayton