elephant in the room

OOC board archives from Act V forums.
silvrfist
Character: Vance

elephant in the room

Post by silvrfist » December 2nd, 2018, 9:01 pm

I love the shard and atmosphere, I love the Staff and players and we are in one of the most customized shard with so many new systems to play with and enjoy.
Obviously, this Act havnt even begin its story and we players are already doing an awesome job killing each other’s characters. That’s good imo!
But I also like to take some time to voice out what I see and think, which may be wrong or just pointers for us to discuss, especially when sometimes there are so many grey area and un-written rules. Plus we have many new players from other games like NVN so there may be things they need time to get used to.

1) Getting KO in PvP
Usually getting into a PvP situation is not to be taken lightly. We all as adult role-players know what we sign up for as our characters in Requiem and there is role-play that happens –without- you present before or after PvP.
Usually if I get knocked out in PvP and wake up to my “enemy” holding me down I would of course abide and see where the RP takes me.
But if I get knocked out and the enemy is still busy engaging my friend, I think it will be fair game for you to re-enter the battle after your “cool-down” period. (That’s the benefit of bringing your friends along for battle right? They distract your foes so you can recover)

2) Stealth
There’s a lot of system already in place that limits characters hiding and stealth. Light source and Perceptions really counters them well. It is hard for them to play their characters if we keep forcing them to abide by certain rules we think doesn’t make sense. Hiding and stealth, imo, is more like a mechanism of them spying on their enemies, setting up an ambush in the vegetation etc…

3) Stealing
Never like it when a thief “cleans out” a house totally. Sure steal some their valuables, leave behind clue or even discriminating items to frame the owner. But if you are making multiple trips back to a house because you know the player isn’t online, then I think it’s a no-no.

4) Permadeath

Not only for Mages, I think going into this act even crafters have to be careful of PD. With rarity of recipes, resources to guard and customers to fight for, even a crafter can be in danger of assassination.
Point is, we must all accept our characters will die. Yes we have a cool story for them and we spend so much time invested in them. Trust me, there are so many other characters that had an awesome story but ended up dead by simple mistake. (O Galgarious please don’t ever auto open Torment corpse…) But we all learn to take it in and carry on. May your next character have even more meaningful lives.
Have faith that ANY PDs are taken seriously by staff and they WILL review them.

I just want this post to be more like an awareness type of discussion. Please don’t flame me or other people and keep a healthy discussion.

Vernum
Character: Francesca Ivory Ashton

Re: elephant in the room

Post by Vernum » December 3rd, 2018, 4:03 am

Here's how I feel about things:

1) I definitely agree that RP without your character's presence can be a justification for combating your character. Let's say Bob hires Mike to kill Steve, who is his competitor in whatever serious business that makes Bob want to get rid of Steve. Steve might not have an idea that Mike is out to kill him now. He might not have an idea that Bob wants him dead. However, while still not necessary, I think it would be good sportsmanship to at least let Steve know that Bob is ruthless and looking to expand in Steve's field of business.
Getting KO'd 1v1 and then waking up to someone emoting to holding you down or tying you down or whatever means that you should follow that RP. When you get KO'd, often the victor is holding your life in their hands. If they choose not to PD and instead wait to RP, then you at least owe them not to be a mook and start running like "LOL HALP THIS GUY FAILED TO PD ME". Of course, it's different if others enter the scene. Let's imagine Bob strikes Steve down, but doesn't PD Steve and instead holds a blade against Steve as Steve lies on the ground. Steve's player should be mature enough not to abuse their mechanical invulnerability. They should just lie there, for now. But if Tom comes into the scene and suddenly attacks Bob to save Steve, Bob becomes distracted to fight Tom. At this point I'd say it's perfectly reasonable for Steve to get up and run while Bob is distracted, or even join the fight against Bob. However, if Bob tied Steve up, then I'd expect at least an emote from Tom or someone else to cut Steve's bonds before Steve could properly run.
Whatever mechanical disadvantage in terms of injuries Steve suffered while getting KO'd are enough, and at this point I'd say Steve is free to help Tom fight Bob with all he's got. GO STEVE!!
Tl;dr I agree with silvrfist.

2) Stealth isn't invisibility. My longest-surviving character was a stealth-based one, and I tried to avoid obvious spots to stealth in, like the middle of a busy street, etc. So I think it's good sportsmanship to stick to the trees, vegetation, etc. If you approach people in "the open" to surprise them, try to do so from behind them or from behind obstacles. Night also gives you cover, and if there's no light sources then I'd feel OK with crawling on "the open" provided I'm not in the beam of the lightsource.
Running through people at the middle of a lit, open area is not cool.
Using the environment, light levels, and common sense is cool.
I personally haven't seen a problem with the way people use stealth on this shard, and as said, there's plenty of mechanisms in place to counter it.

3) Tricky. If you break into a house, try to do it when the owner is online is you want to be a good sport. Sometimes you don't know who owns a house and can't do that, and that's cool, then you have to go with what you have. But intentionally waiting for a player to log out to dryloot their stuff is definitely not legit. Having your character wait to see the owner leaving the house, and then looting the house when the owner is away but IG is legit. Just use common sense and don't do it if there's a guard NPC standing at the door or whatever. Burglary's fine in my book, that's why you got sturdier locks and big burly characters you can tell to whack thieves. If you want to avoid burglaries, put your valuables behind well-locked doors in a populated place with lots of light, NPCs and characters instead of having a weak lock on a door leading to a shack in the middle of Buttwoods where there's not lawful authority.

4) Permadeath can happen to anyone, anytime. I think that's the basic assumption everyone should acknowledge when logging in. Steve might sneeze on you on the street and you catch Torment. Bob might kill you on the road for that loaf of bread you're carrying. A wandering diabolist might decide to use you to test their new spells. Psycho Mike might've gotten pissed when you didn't say "hi" back to him and shoves a dagger into your back. And so on.
Obviously there are ways to avoid conflict like this, minimizing the risks of these things happening. But always remember: You are never completely safe.
If your character has strong opinions or affiliates themselves with people who have strong opinions or do permanent decisions that affect others, then you're especially at risk.
Mages are especially at risk simply based on lore. If you play a mage, you should acknowledge that you simply being a mage is probably enough justification to PD you for several other characters who don't otherwise know your character.
When you play on Requiem, you might want to remember this: You will die eventually. This cannot be stressed enough. YOUR character is going to DIE. Period. You play a happy florist who is friends with everyone? GOING TO DIE, just probably but not necessarily later than a character partaking in anything combat-related.
Luck and your own actions determine if you'll die soon or very soon.

This was all just my opinion that I pulled out of my butt. Feel free to contest me.

Controll
Character: A Diabolist

Post by Controll » December 3rd, 2018, 6:45 am

Personally I fail to see any elephant in the room. There has always been salt and tears when player characters die on Requiem, and that is good. It's meant to be an emotional experience.

Overall I think all PDs have gone fairly well, as I don't think any of them has been contested as "griefy" or "too PvP-serverish" - at least not by the dying players themselves. The only recent death that I think was sad about out of character was Kylana's, as I think the player might have misunderstood the lore (or was not presented the gravity of risks when you decide to play a mage) and was perhaps scared away from the shard. That is why I suggested that there should be toggleable indicators for totally new players, so that they can be shown a little more mercy than one usually would. But I don't know about that particular case, so I can only talk about what I know about.

There was two kills done by the witch hunters that made me worry about how the players of killed characters perceived it, and if they felt that they had been just PK'd without a reason. Both of those players later said that they approved of it, and one even hoped to see more(?!). It feels like those that are most loud about conflict are taking a role of a substitute victim and complaining about things based on just second hand knowledge.

This should be clear from in character forum posts by now, but the witch hunt is all about terror. You shouldn't expect a fair warning, or that you are only a target if your combat skills are maxed out and your character is geared out, and you know you can fight back. There is nothing honorable with terrorizing, but it only has the desired effect like that. If you make enemies but you yourself are too strong, elusive or careful to be hurted by them you should consider the possibility that enemies that are wicked enough might still seek to hurt you through your less-so friends. This especially applies if you are in a position where you make decisions and have followers - your decisions will also have an effect on your underlings.

Now, I vehemently think that there should always be personal roleplay before anyone dies. "Psycho killer" roleplay just for the sake of PvP is not good roleplaying at all - it's just an excuse! Additionally nobody should be killed just because they were seen with Pete and Tom under the bridge. But if Pete and Tom form a communist alliance that wants to seize the means of production and you join them you should realize that it's no longer just affiliation. You have joined their collective, made a stance and aligned with class warfare that they represent. This personal roleplay should also come in the form of roleplay before the PD - even if the tactic is to stealth KO someone and then wait for them to wake up before talking with them. But it's a roleplaying server, and most of all you have to do what your character would do. Is it always the time or place for a chat about who did what wrong? Those situations are filled with adrenaline, and often have small windows of opportunity. People should not be forced to have an artificial "gosh dang you gon die now you ruffian" talk before a PD takes place if their character would not do it, but they should be encouraged to do so if the situation permits it.

Personally I've not seen anything bad be done with stealth. With stealing you can take whatever your character would take, but you should avoid being an arsehole and doing things like throwing the entire furniture out of a house to decay.

TL;DR: Being able to kill other PCs is a huge liberty, but also a huge responsibility. Just remember that RP comes first. Players work hard for their characters, so don't destroy that work lightly. The staff is quite well informed on all grudges on this shard, so they should be trusted with the judgement.

Hathus
Character: Hathus Gress

Post by Hathus » December 3rd, 2018, 9:34 am

When I first came to the shard I was under the impression PD was something weighed and fully considered before attempted. Kind of like a last resort when rp has failed to achieve the desirable outcome. Ultimately we will all need to work together for what the story throws at us. Even enemies can work together in times of dire need but go back to war after.

Someone suggested giving the option to maim a target when they are KOed and this might be a better idea than a simple PD. Maiming would require rp/healing along with recovery before they can be 100% back in the fight. This leaves the target alive for more pvp/rp later while giving them a penalty for losing the fight. One might argue breaking a squires leg and leaving him on the steps of the church for all to see will send a bigger message than simply killing him and leaving his body in a random field MAYBE to be found?

Personally I think the witch hunting situation is a bit lazy at least how it has been presented to me. People stealth/run through the monastery and if they see magic then BAM! pd them. The server is still fresh and all the mages are super weak (unless you are a vet who had the animus to invest). Easy targets. There is no challenge in jumping one who has a weak spell that they more than likely did not even get to cast during your assault. If you lay in wait for any random mage and pd them right there then your the problem. If you hear rumor of a mage and through investigation find their workshop, their magic items, and catch them in the act of something heinous then kill them. One is RP and advances a story. The other is lazy and trollish. If you see somone cast a spell just as you walk up. Give them a chance to run away but make notes of their appearance or name if you know it.

Then...
1. Watch their interactions with others - Who are they talking to. Who might be helping them with their magic. Maybe you can find other mages through him.
2. Find their home/storage - every mage has to have a stash somewhere full of evidence that can be used against them
3. If proof is found confront and arrest/pd

If they continue to cast in front of you then react how you desire.

When I joined the idea was that there would be RP and our focus would be the bigger threat of the story rather than each other. Mages will be useful later in that story and I understand the need to kill obvious public mages who show off to everyone their abilities. I also think that some mages need to survive and grow powerful to help with the coming threats this story has for us. Currently I know of one mage who wants to play but doesnt get on. He wants to hunt and rp but feels so discouraged by the random killings that he doesnt want to risk dying to someone he can't see with little to no rp prior to the blade. A lot of investment goes into a mage on Req and it seems a darn shame that a single person with a cheap dagger you start with could conceivably end that wiping away all that progress in an instant.

Prolly not gonna make any friends with this. Ohwell.

Gaius
Character: Gaius Salonius

Post by Gaius » December 3rd, 2018, 10:33 am

There have been witch hunts in the past on Requiem. Up until now I've exclusively played a mage, and have been hunted. I could be wrong, but I don't remember any of the previous hunts going down like this.

I have not yet had direct conflict with the hunters this time, but those around me have, and what I am hearing and seeing is a bunch of players with maxed out characters with lifetime animus PKing people because they can.

This has the potential to be very bad for the health of the server, and drive away new players before they really ever get established.

Azareil
Character: Gryhun Kren

Post by Azareil » December 3rd, 2018, 10:41 am

I'm a new player here myself. I don't play a mage or anything so my perspective is that of someone who is simply watching from the outside.

From my perspective, a group of players deliberately spent a bunch of lifetime animus on making witch hunters and are having a gank fest on the newbs who are trying to get their skill above the 50% line. Yeah there's RP in front of what's happening, but it's just putting lipstick on pigs. It doesn't hide the underlying issue.

The world isn't opened up and there's so very few places to go and do anything at the moment. Thus Aiwella is a PD Paradise which just means people are going to stop playing mages until there's more places where they can potentially try to gain in skill.

I do understand and even like the risks involved, but there's such a huge gap between the casters and anti-casters right now it's laughable to try and defend it behind an RP wall.

Just my 2 cents.

silvrfist
Character: Vance

Post by silvrfist » December 3rd, 2018, 10:49 am

Hathus wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 9:34 am
Someone suggested giving the option to maim a target when they are KOed and this might be a better idea than a simple PD. Maiming would require rp/healing along with recovery before they can be 100% back in the fight. This leaves the target alive for more pvp/rp later while giving them a penalty for losing the fight. One might argue breaking a squires leg and leaving him on the steps of the church for all to see will send a bigger message than simply killing him and leaving his body in a random field MAYBE to be found?
Controll wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 6:45 am
Overall I think all PDs have gone fairly well, as I don't think any of them has been contested as "griefy" or "too PvP-serverish" - at least not by the dying players themselves. The only recent death that I think was sad about out of character was Kylana's, as I think the player might have misunderstood the lore (or was not presented the gravity of risks when you decide to play a mage) and was perhaps scared away from the shard. That is why I suggested that there should be toggleable indicators for totally new players, so that they can be shown a little more mercy than one usually would. But I don't know about that particular case, so I can only talk about what I know about.
I really like these two ideas and really offers an alternative to some RP situation. I think we are not saying PD isnt allowed now, as long the RP and sense is fulfill.... please go ahead and PD. Staff will always be the gatekeepers for us but players we also can do our part.

Lamora
Character: Erilian Lamora

Post by Lamora » December 3rd, 2018, 11:47 am

KO/Perma

I think the biggest reasons for so many PDs are 2 fold:

First, there is only one really good hunting spot. The Monastary is the best hunting spot I've seen by far. It's where every player goes, especially mages for the runes, to hunt. Such a popular hunting spot makes it very easy for people to just chill out and find people. When the map opens up this might fix itself. It's a lot harder to find and kill mages when they could be anywhere on the map.

Secondly, people not reacting to the situation in a realistic manner RPly. If there is a cult of mage killers going around a location hunting and killing Order/Mages it would make 0 sense for one of those people to go alone or few in number and expect to live. They are either unaware of the danger, which may be the case for some, or their characters are failing to respect the threat that has been very openly presented to them.

I'm not even associated with those factions and I don't solo-hunt alone anymore. I have 1 or 2 strong players with me whenever I go and hunt. Almost every time we do so we see a player solo-hunting and often times later have found their bodies.

That being said I'd love to see more options, such as maiming, for consequences.

Controll
Character: A Diabolist

Post by Controll » December 3rd, 2018, 12:28 pm

Hathus wrote:Personally I think the witch hunting situation is a bit lazy at least how it has been presented to me. People stealth/run through the monastery and if they see magic then BAM! pd them. The server is still fresh and all the mages are super weak (unless you are a vet who had the animus to invest). Easy targets. There is no challenge in jumping one who has a weak spell that they more than likely did not even get to cast during your assault. If you lay in wait for any random mage and pd them right there then your the problem. If you hear rumor of a mage and through investigation find their workshop, their magic items, and catch them in the act of something heinous then kill them. One is RP and advances a story. The other is lazy and trollish. If you see somone cast a spell just as you walk up. Give them a chance to run away but make notes of their appearance or name if you know it.
Hathus wrote:Currently I know of one mage who wants to play but doesnt get on. He wants to hunt and rp but feels so discouraged by the random killings that he doesnt want to risk dying to someone he can't see with little to no rp prior to the blade. A lot of investment goes into a mage on Req and it seems a darn shame that a single person with a cheap dagger you start with could conceivably end that wiping away all that progress in an instant.
Gaius wrote:I have not yet had direct conflict with the hunters this time, but those around me have, and what I am hearing and seeing is a bunch of players with maxed out characters with lifetime animus PKing people because they can.
Azareil wrote:From my perspective, a group of players deliberately spent a bunch of lifetime animus on making witch hunters and are having a gank fest on the newbs who are trying to get their skill above the 50% line. Yeah there's RP in front of what's happening, but it's just putting lipstick on pigs. It doesn't hide the underlying issue.
It didn't take very long for this topic to be filled with exactly the type of substitute victimhood that I referred to in my first post. NONE of you has had ANY interaction with the group you bash in your posts. You even admit that yourselves, but then still see it as your right to write garbage like this. You have absolutely zero clue about the amount of roleplay that there has been to each witch, especially the about the amount of conspiring and "behind curtains" roleplay that their deaths have generated both prior and after the actual dying. You even freely admit being reliable on purely second hand knowledge, but still see it as your right to publicly speculate with accusations like that, even though you know that the staff has logs on all roleplay and a high standard for what makes a murder approved. It's clearly just an attempt to belittle the roleplay of others and poison the community.

As far as the suggestions of Hathus go I'm all for maiming. All the rest? They've already been done. Newb mages are not outright murdered. Contrary to your speculations, the progress of mages is actually looked at and if they are considered as total newbies they are not killed. Their grimoires are taken and they are told to find Decus, to abandon Witchcraft. Some people have actually acted on it and still live, some just got a new grimoire and got caught again exactly the same way as before. This guideline along with a lot more has actually been publicly displayed in a lore post long before the first Witch even died.
Hathus wrote:Currently I know of one mage who wants to play but doesnt get on. He wants to hunt and rp but feels so discouraged by the random killings that he doesnt want to risk dying to someone he can't see with little to no rp prior to the blade.
I'm glad to hear that your friend is afraid to play a mage. That's good, because it's the whole point of a witch hunt. On the other hand I'm sad that he feels discouraged to play at all. That is not the goal.

To me it looks like your friend has three options...
a) easy mode, play a less controversial character than a mage
b) hard mode, play a mage but keep it a secret by coming up with a good cover and avoiding hooded robes and not casting spells like it's as bad as burping in public
c) hero mode, play a mage and resist all those who want to hurt you.

It's time to adjust to the new reality where you might end up burning even if you have a writ from the Consortium. The witch hunt will continue. I'm done defending it OOCly against a bunch of speculations and lies, which is why this will be my last post to this thread. If the staff judges the hunt to be done wrong, it will change.

But I'll still be reading and happily take any feedback that can actually be constructed on.

Hagbard
Community Vet
Character: Adalrik

Post by Hagbard » December 3rd, 2018, 12:43 pm

I'm actually of two minds about this.

On one hand, I can't imagine a new player to this shard could ever expect the brutality with which witchhunters carry out their promise. Perhaps the taking away the grimoire is a good enough start ? I have heard of mages who were killed instantly with no option to repent, but alas that is only stuff I heard.

On the other hand, I love it. This is the only time on Requirm that I felt afraid when playing a mage. My mage was ambushed and killed, but I was fine with it. I'd been caught once but went back anyway, knowing 100% the risk I was taking.
I like the magefear.
I can't help but wondering if PD is the only tool available though. Gathering spells is a massive undertaking as it is, and destroying spellbooks is alrradt a massive punishment. I really approve the idea of maiming. What if instead of PD you could cut out their tongue so that they cant speak, and thus cant cast spells? At present you can already do this through emotes, but it seems there isn't enough trust that the victims would keep it going afterwards?

EDIT: I must say I'm a bit curious as to why all the hostility? Controll you seem confident that Staff approves of your actions, so I don't see why people complaining is such a big deal to you? People are always going to complain when they encounter obstacles.
Last edited by Hagbard on December 3rd, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.