elephant in the room

OOC board archives from Act V forums.
Controll
Character: A Diabolist

Re: elephant in the room

Post by Controll » December 3rd, 2018, 12:46 pm

Hagbard wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:43 pm What if instead of PD you could cut out their tongue so that they cant speak, and thus cant cast spells?
i'm gonna break the promise to not reply anymore right away and say that this is a golden idea.

Nagato
Character: Cool Dude

Post by Nagato » December 3rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

Controll wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:46 pm
Hagbard wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:43 pm What if instead of PD you could cut out their tongue so that they cant speak, and thus cant cast spells?
i'm gonna break the promise to not reply anymore right away and say that this is a golden idea.
I'm breaking my vow of silence to say how disappointed I am that you chose to break your promise.

Sethaelia Vhaire
Character: Sethaelia Vhaire

Post by Sethaelia Vhaire » December 3rd, 2018, 1:02 pm

My thoughts, as a new player: just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you must do that thing.

Regardless of whether or not all the RP has been done...
Regardless of whether or not the PDs have been legitimate...
Regardless of whether or not Staff has approved...

...the perception of what's happening is bad - and it's only getting worse.

Gaius
Character: Gaius Salonius

Post by Gaius » December 3rd, 2018, 1:09 pm

Controll wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:28 pm It didn't take very long for this topic to be filled with exactly the type of substitute victimhood that I referred to in my first post. NONE of you has had ANY interaction with the group you bash in your posts. You even admit that yourselves, but then still see it as your right to write garbage like this. You have absolutely zero clue about the amount of roleplay that there has been to each witch, especially the about the amount of conspiring and "behind curtains" roleplay that their deaths have generated both prior and after the actual dying. You even freely admit being reliable on purely second hand knowledge, but still see it as your right to publicly speculate with accusations like that, even though you know that the staff has logs on all roleplay and a high standard for what makes a murder approved. It's clearly just an attempt to belittle the roleplay of others and poison the community.
You're not making a case for yourself like you think you are, man. Quite frankly, you're the one playing the victim.
Controll wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:28 pm
To me it looks like your friend has three options...
a) easy mode, play a less controversial character than a mage
b) hard mode, play a mage but keep it a secret by coming up with a good cover and avoiding hooded robes and not casting spells like it's as bad as burping in public
c) hero mode, play a mage and resist all those who want to hurt you.

It's time to adjust to the new reality where you might end up burning even if you have a writ from the Consortium. The witch hunt will continue. I'm done defending it OOCly against a bunch of speculations and lies, which is why this will be my last post to this thread. If the staff judges the hunt to be done wrong, it will change.

But I'll still be reading and happily take any feedback that can actually be constructed on.
Here's some feedback: Choose a play style that doesn't entirely consist of trying to ruin the game for other players.

"It's time to adjust to the new reality where you might end up burning even if you have a writ from the Consortium"
So you've taken it upon yourself to create this "new reality" for the rest of the shard, huh? Wow, you sound like exactly the kind of person that a tiny (and shrinking) community needs!

The Watcher
Character: Staff

Post by The Watcher » December 3rd, 2018, 1:55 pm

"It's time to adjust to the new reality where you might end up burning even if you have a writ from the Consortium"
So you've taken it upon yourself to create this "new reality" for the rest of the shard, huh? Wow, you sound like exactly the kind of person that a tiny (and shrinking) community needs!
My one and only comment on this matter, is that this isn't a "new reality" this has been one of the main principles of the lore on this shard since the beginning. The "new reality" is when people stopped hating on mages and generally started accepting them, that was what was odd, not the mage hate and hunting.
This is apparent in the lore and should be treated as such, people who want to play mages need to be more conservative and distrustful of others. You can't expect to just run around dropping magic at a whim without the threat of possible consequences, either from players or possibly even NPCs (Ie: The VIC).

Mage players are encouraged and a lovely group to see develop, but the lore of the world is set up in a manner that there are much more forces working against mages than any other group, one has to be prepared for that. There are warnings in OOC form, and in RP lore documents on this as well.

Nördlich
Character: Basil Qudus

Post by Nördlich » December 3rd, 2018, 2:10 pm

What's with the talk about this ruining the game for others? These hunts have generated a lot, and I do mean A LOT of interesting RP that has involved almost everyone in its twists and turns, be it directly or indirectly. Seeing things unraveling IG has been extremely gripping and exciting, and I must say it's been a while since I was this thrilled to log in to a UORP shard just to interact with other players.

Losing a character sucks, but it's part of the emotional roller-coaster that the shard tries to invoke in its players. Without the looming risk of death, actions just wouldn't have the same gravity, and the shard would be shallower for it. Most of the killed players were fine with their treatment, and I feel players haven't even began to explore the ways they could push back against the cult in-character, in-game. At the risk of sounding crass (which is not my intention! I love all of you 💖), given that the lore is very specific about how the world functions, I'd say this isn't the right shard to play if you expect the lore to accommodate to your needs and wants without fighting for that change in-game.

No-one wants to turn new players away, and I'm all for systems that would make their lives a bit easier as they start out. They're the lifeblood of any UO-shard!

Azareil
Character: Gryhun Kren

Post by Azareil » December 3rd, 2018, 2:28 pm

Controll wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:28 pm It didn't take very long for this topic to be filled with exactly the type of substitute victimhood that I referred to in my first post. NONE of you has had ANY interaction with the group you bash in your posts. You even admit that yourselves, but then still see it as your right to write garbage like this.
Actually you guys stealthed up to the house I was macroing in, set traps all around the house, lockpicked the door, barged in, searched through all our things under the thinly veiled RP of 'searching for witches'.

So yes, I HAVE had interactions with your group. I stand by exactly what I've said. You used a bunch of animus to deliberately make powerful witch hunters to gank players. Sure, you might spare newbies and give them their one chance to 'find Decus'. It's not even like they can go undercover because you'll just snoop their belongings.

The only recommendation I could possibly give to people like you, is how about wait a couple weeks before swinging the dick around? Let the world open up, let there be an actual hunt across a broad landscape instead of the small area we're in now. I haven't even seen anything cast aside from the absolute basic spells. You're beating up toddlers and calling it RP, how about you just hold off so you can let players actually get to a point where they can pose a challenge?

Basically, let the playing field even itself out.

Radomir Varga
Character: Radomir Varga

Post by Radomir Varga » December 3rd, 2018, 2:47 pm

Azareil wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 2:28 pm
Controll wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:28 pm It didn't take very long for this topic to be filled with exactly the type of substitute victimhood that I referred to in my first post. NONE of you has had ANY interaction with the group you bash in your posts. You even admit that yourselves, but then still see it as your right to write garbage like this.
Actually you guys stealthed up to the house I was macroing in, set traps all around the house, lockpicked the door, barged in, searched through all our things under the thinly veiled RP of 'searching for witches'.

So yes, I HAVE had interactions with your group. I stand by exactly what I've said. You used a bunch of animus to deliberately make powerful witch hunters to gank players. Sure, you might spare newbies and give them their one chance to 'find Decus'. It's not even like they can go undercover because you'll just snoop their belongings.

The only recommendation I could possibly give to people like you, is how about wait a couple weeks before swinging the dick around? Let the world open up, let there be an actual hunt across a broad landscape instead of the small area we're in now. I haven't even seen anything cast aside from the absolute basic spells. You're beating up toddlers and calling it RP, how about you just hold off so you can let players actually get to a point where they can pose a challenge?

Basically, let the playing field even itself out.
You think it was unfair that witch hunters searched a house with a sign carrying the name of a faction hostile to them? We declared we were coming by knocking and yelling, but no-one opened so we opened the door ourselves and searched a bunch of people dressed in hooded robes. In other words, we were playing our characters. I am sorry for you if you felt that our RP interrupted your macroing session. I'm not sure if a hardcore RP shard is a place for you if characters interacting in game is something that stops you from enjoying the game.

Sethaelia Vhaire
Character: Sethaelia Vhaire

Post by Sethaelia Vhaire » December 3rd, 2018, 3:09 pm

Please tell me more about this "hardcore RP" that happened. :?:

[Macro line]
You see: a concealed figure
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
: *loud pounding*
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
: Open up in the name of Decus!
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: *picks a door lock*
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: *picked a door lock*
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: Good evening, gents.
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: This is a raid. No-one move.

Date: November 29th, around 12:15 p.m. Central

What's curious about this is that the post declaring all of the Order hostile wasn't done until the next day.

Radomir Varga
Character: Radomir Varga

Post by Radomir Varga » December 3rd, 2018, 3:20 pm

Sethaelia Vhaire wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 3:09 pm Please tell me more about this "hardcore RP" that happened. :?:

[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
: *loud pounding*
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
: Open up in the name of Decus!
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: *picks a door lock*
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: *picked a door lock*
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: Good evening, gents.
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
[Macro line]
a concealed figure: This is a raid. No-one move.

Date: November 29th, around 12:15 p.m. Central

What's curious about this is that the post declaring all of the Order hostile wasn't done until the next day.
I am honestly not sure what you are trying to say here, so I will tell you. Your journal log confirms what I just said. In addition to that, there was RP regarding the situation prior to the witchhunters entering. And the situation continued with RP from that point. The fact that you are not personally informed of all the RP happening around witch hunting does not mean it does not happen. The same applies to forum posts. There was RP regarding hostility prior to that forum post. The fact that we chose to make a public forum post was an additional treat, not something we required to raid any houses. It is mind boggling that you are pissed off about us raiding a house when the players spending time there were online. I do not know what you think but I think you would have gotten upset if we had gone through the house when you were offline. I am sure the staff will intervene if we break the rules or try to force our own lore. Please read the two last sentences from my previous reply.